Dave A. Glock
This article was originally published in Journey magazine and has been republished here with permission from the family of Dave Glock.
My personal view of God is based on a “by faith” acceptance of the revelation of the Bible –– the Word of God. It is not an illogical faith, however, as supported by the fourfold philosophical reasons for the existence of God.
The revelation of God’s nature as found in the Bible describes God in the orthodox manner as the one God of the Trinity –– God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit –– the same in essence, but distinct in subsistence sharing all of the attributes of godhood equally.
This infinite, personal God is directly involved in the details of my life in a particular way as He is with all of mankind. This is seen in the following ways in my existence:
- God created me through Adam in the image and likeness of God.
- God provided a way of salvation for me.
- God chose me for salvation before time.
- God gave His Son at Calvary to pay the penalty for my sin.
- God provided for me the Holy Scriptures as a guide for salvation and godly living.
- God provides for me the avenue of prayer: for the execution of the will of God, for daily needs, for relationships with others, and for deliverance from evil.
- God views me as a human being more valuable than the rest of His creation.
- God’s relationship with me is as close as that with His Son.
- God shaped me in the womb as to will, intellect, and sensibility thus forming my personality. He gave natural gifts according to His will. He designed my physical being as well for His purposes.
- God shaped me through my pre-salvation environment and experiences in a Christian home setting.
- God gifted me spiritually through the Holy Spirit for His prearranged works.
- God called me to be a priest in His church to worship and pray.
- God energizes my will to serve Him.
- God provides enabling grace for me to execute His will in my life.
- God provides guidance in matters of my life choices as to marriage, vocation, family and service.
- God provided the church as a setting of worship, prayer, teaching, and fellowship.
- God moves in history with my salvation in view.
- God works all things together for my good according to His will.
- God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit focus on me as an object of the attention of God with nothing but good in view.
God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands. Nor is He worshiped with men’s hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath, and all things. And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings, so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; for in Him we live and move and have our being, as also some of your own poets have said, “For we are also His offspring.”
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.